OverviewCA Service Desk Manager is a versatile, comprehensive IT support solution that helps you build superior incident and problem management processes that simplify change management, increase infrastructure visibility, deliver extensive self-service capabilities and provide timely data for accurate decision support. The scope of its functionality is not only limited to IT support but an organisations entire support services.
BenefitsCA Service Desk Manager is a key component of a comprehensive, enterprise wide incident and problem management solution. A vital weapon in the battle against incidents threatening critical business functions, it improves the speed and accuracy with which issues are resolved, leading to better quality service and response times — all while reducing support costs.
Service Desk FunctionThe service desk features a scalable architecture that accommodates growth while serving as the foundation for an improved approach to Request, Incident and Problem Management. It enables:
- Automated Incident detection, diagnosis and repair while enabling cost-effective remote support and self-service capabilities
- Out-of-the box best practices including Request, Incident, Problem and Change Management, for a level of service management and control that helps align IT processes with business objectives
- A Role-Based User Interface that allows product functionality and content to be tailored to the needs of each user. There are 21 ITIL v3 aligned, out-of-the-box roles provided in the solution to decrease implementation time.
- Multi-Tenant capabilities allowing easy segregation of customer (tenant) data, so Service Providers can separately manage customers without having to deploy multiple service desks
- Graphical views offering insight into the effectiveness of service desk operations, historical data and the status of current Requests, Incidents, Problems, Change Orders and more
- A comprehensive view of current IT service configurations that help streamline the processes of configuration, and change management
- Comprehensive Notifications to keep everyone in the organization aware of status via emails, faxes or online alerts, ensuring a quick response to open issues and helping provide good customer service
- A central authority (LDAP and Active Directory) that lets the network database verify a user’s identity and access to the service desk. This simplifies implementation and maintenance, and improves adherence to security standards.
Knowledge ManagementThe CA Service Desk Manager’s knowledge repository helps connect IT with the business it supports by presenting accurate, authoritative, timely and consistent information tailored to the needs of end-users and service desk analysts. By capturing valuable experience and storing and publishing it for reuse, the knowledge repository empowers individuals with intuitive Request, Incident, Problem resolution and instructional information, while helping the support environment run more efficiently and effectively.
Effective Knowledge Management drives down support costs by building on the experience of others. As fixes for errors are found, experience is captured and categorized in a way that is easily retrievable and used by others. Self-Service, allows end-users to find trusted information with specific solution details so they can diagnose and resolve their own requests.
Reporting and AnalyticsCA Service Desk Manager provides high-level graphical overviews of service desk and knowledge management operations to help in real-time analysis and integrated decision support. Designed to help service desk, change and other IT managers gain immediate visibility into critical operational metrics and day-to-day activities, these out-of-the-box graphical and tabular views offer superior insight into key performance indicators for analyst performance, issue resolution, change metrics and knowledge use. They also allow nontechnical managers to quickly create their own reports and analyses to gain rapid insight into key performance indicators (KPIs) and trends using the same Business Objects XI technology.
The CA Service Desk Manager reporting functionality provides managers with a real-time view of incident and problem identification and resolution processes, letting them drill down graphical and tabular views — as well as key metrics — to gain a deeper understanding of critical issues.
Configuration ManagementAs a component of CA Service Desk Manager, the CA CMDB provides the foundation for a comprehensive Configuration Management System (CMS) for greater management control over your IT environment by providing a consolidated view of configuration items (CIs) and their interdependencies. It uses aggregated data from multiple sources to map CIs to the IT services they support and helps improve a wide range of ITIL processes — including Incident, Problem, Change, Availability, and Capacity Management.
The CMDB provides a specialized repository of CIs that unifies and simplifies Change Management, helping IT accurately identify key resources and their interrelationships. CMDB discovers, consolidates and reconciles disparate sources of IT-related data with business priorities, providing full visibility into individual infrastructure components and the impact of planned changes to these components.
And, when changes occur, the CA CMDB records them and provides an audit trail that tracks who or what made the change, and when — as well as any alterations to relationships. CI versioning provides baselines for approved CI configurations, historical snapshots of CI configuration changes and automated comparisons. The CMDB visualizer presents multi-level visualization capabilities that include pre-defined filters for potential change impact and root cause analysis.